Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Are You Ready to Quit Your Day Job?

You’re a writer. I know it. You know it. You know if you put your mind to it, you could do it full time. You would LOVE to do it full-time! I’ve been there and felt that. I still do. Yet right now I’m out of a day job and trying to make it freelancing. And failing. I don’t know why but with no experience I landed freelance jobs. Now with experience, I can’t get anything. 

 



What to look for to know if you’re ready:

1.       Are you making the same amount of income you were with your day job?

2.       Are your projects steady?

3.       Do you have sufficient training/certification to secure long-term work or good prices?

4.       Can you keep up the pace indefinitely? Or are you exhausted already?

5.       Are you happy?

Unfortunately I’m not there yet. I’m working on the training right now. I know I can secure more steady work with training under my belt. And I’m nowhere near making the same amount of income. If I wanted at least to equal a $10/hr job, I’d need to write 20 500 word articles a day, estimating $5 an article. That is a lot! And even I'm not that good!

I always thought if I gave my freelancing full time opportunity, I could see how well I could do. I was sorely mistaken. I’ve found several sites for work but $1 here and a $1 there isn’t enough. Part time work, maybe, but mostly just some additional income on the side.  So please, please, heed my warnings and think about it before you do it. If you think you need full time to see if you can do it full time, try part-time first. If it is a success, then take on more.
 

Will continue to post on how I do at becoming a full-time writer. Subscribe and get notified when I post my list on best sites, in my experience, for freelance work.

 

Happy Writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment